House flipping is something that has been around for a long time and is an essential part of real estate.
When houses get run down, worn out, or abandoned, most banks will not finance their purchase and most people cannot afford to pay cash. Even if they could, most people don’t have the skills or knowledge to make a house livable again.
That’s where flipping houses come in. By taking these properties and turning them into something useful again, the real estate investor is adding value to the neighborhood and filling an important role in the market.
If you are new to investing, it can be overwhelming to get started. It’s not that real estate investing is amazingly complex, but the problem is there is too much information out there. It’s easy to keep reading and analyzing and never get anywhere.
So, we’ve compiled a list of the best real estate investing books to help you get started. After reading 2 or 3 of these, you should have the knowledge you need to start networking and start looking at houses.
- The Book on Flipping Houses: How to Buy, Rehab, and Resell Residential Properties
- The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs: The Investor’s Guide to Defining Your Renovation Plan, Building Your Budget, and Knowing Exactly How Much It All Costs
- The Complete Guide to Flipping Properties
- The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down: Real Life Strategies for Investing in Real Estate Using Other People’s Money
- Real Estate Investing Gone Bad: 21 true stories of what NOT to do when investing in real estate and flipping houses
- Building Wealth One House at a Time, Updated and Expanded, Second Edition
- Fixing and Flipping Real Estate: Strategies for the Post-Boom Era
- What is House Flipping?
- Hot New Release for Real Estate Investing Books
The Book on Flipping Houses: How to Buy, Rehab, and Resell Residential Properties
By Mr. J Scott
J Scott is a well-known and well-respected house flipper. I’ve been following him for years and he is definitely extremely knowledgeable and has flipped an unbelievable number of houses.
The Book on Flipping Houses covers just about everything you need to know about house flipping. It contains over 350 pages about:
- Getting financing
- Evaluating potential markets
- Types of property you should buy
- Finding motivated sellers
- Evaluating deals quickly
- Create a scope of work, budget, and schedule
- Hiring the best contractors
- Selling your properties for top dollar
Whether you are an experienced investor or just getting started, the Book on Flipping Houses will teach you a ton about building a bigger and more profitable house flipping business.
The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs: The Investor’s Guide to Defining Your Renovation Plan, Building Your Budget, and Knowing Exactly How Much It All Costs
By Mr. J Scott
Following along with the first book from J Scott that I mentioned, you need the book on estimating rehab costs.
This 200+ page book provides a step-by-step methodology about how to create a Scope of Work and estimating rehab costs on your house flip projects.
This book is for rehabbers, wholesalers, and landlords and will teach you the process starting from evaluating the scope of the rehab and estimating the costs to complete the project. J. Scott has been using these methods for years and on hundreds of rehabs.
It covers everything from cosmetic renovations to mechanical installations and upgrades to complex renovation components such as mold, termites and foundation issues.
This house flipping book shows you how to break down your renovation into major and minor components, learn the most common tasks for each of those project components, and learn how to accurately price each of the tasks.
The Complete Guide to Flipping Properties
By Steve Berges
The Complete Guide to Flipping Properties covers all the ins and outs of buying, renovating, and reselling distressed properties for a profit.
Steve Berges walks you through every aspect of house flipping – from finding deals to analyzing them, and even negotiating and closing deals. With new information on flipping in a soft market, this is the only guide you need to start turning a profit now.
I really love Steve Berges as an author as he has a ton of great examples and is very experienced. He has a whole collection of books on all aspects of real estate, and I have personally read almost all of them.
This is why he gets my top spot above some of the newer and trendier options.
The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down: Real Life Strategies for Investing in Real Estate Using Other People’s Money
By Brandon Turner
Brandon Turner is a well-known name in the house flipping world. I’ve personally met him a few times and was also on his podcast, and I can say that he definitely knows his stuff.
So, discover the real-life strategies that smart investors are using in today’s market to invest in real estate with creativity.
In This Book, You’ll Discover:
- The Truth About No Money Down Investing Investing with little to no money down is possible, but it’s not about some step by step strategy. It’s about a mindset.
- Numerous Strategies to Mix and Match Creative investing requires a creative mind, and this book will share numerous examples of creative deal-making.
- Attract Private Money, Lenders, and Partners There are millions of millionaires walking the streets. Discover the best way to attract them to you.
- The Ugly Side of Creative Investing Learn the downsides to all the strategies mentioned in this book, as well as tips for overcoming those problems.
- Get Started with No Money or Experience Looking for your first deal? Learn the best strategies for getting your feet wet without paying thousands!
- Wholesaling, Flipping, Rentals, and More! No matter what niche or strategy you plan to use to build your real estate empire, this book can help you proceed.
This Book is for anyone looking to get more mileage out of their real estate investment strategy. House flippers, landlords, wholesalers, note buyers, private lenders, and more can all benefit from the information provided.
This book is different because it’s not about “one right strategy.” Instead, the book is a collection of numerous different strategies to help you be able to handle whatever deal comes your way.
Real Estate Investing Gone Bad: 21 true stories of what NOT to do when investing in real estate and flipping houses
By Phil Pustejovsky
This is a pretty cool book because it’s the opposite of all the others.
Here, there are 21 true stories of real estate investing deals that went terribly wrong and the lessons you can learn from them. The cost of these “deals gone bad” totals many millions of dollars in losses, along with years of unproductive activity and an unbelievable amount of emotional stress.
Like your parents always taught you, learn from other people’s mistakes. So, learn from these 21 mishaps without the costs!
You’re about to gather lifelong, extremely valuable real estate investment and house flipping wisdom that has taken others a lifetime and a fortune to learn.
This book is a must-read for anyone planning to be or is already a real estate investor because you’ll find out what NOT to do in real estate.
Building Wealth One House at a Time, Updated and Expanded, Second Edition
By John Schuab
The collapse in real estate prices from 2007 through 2012 was the most significant event in the real estate industry since the Great Depression. But today, with the real estate market rebounding, a new generation of investors is entering the field, eager to make their fortune.
You’ll love this book because it provides you with a practical way to create wealth through an ethical approach to buying, financing, and managing investment property. Renowned real estate expert John W. Schaub takes you through his 9-step program and explains how to accumulate one million dollars’ worth of houses debt free in any market while earning a steady cash flow.
- Finance real estate purchases without going to a bank
- Recognize and capitalize on real estate cycles
- Improve your negotiation
- Avoid common and costly mistakes
- Create cash flow that lasts forever, and much more
This book shows how virtually anyone can accumulate houses debt free and earn an income for life.
Fixing and Flipping Real Estate: Strategies for the Post-Boom Era
By Marty Boardman
Fixing and flipping houses is a business and it’s not sexy like the TV makes it seem.
In order for a business to survive, prosper, and grow, systems must be put in place. This book breaks down the four essential components of a fix-and-flip business, giving you the building blocks to efficiently buy and sell 1 to 20 properties a month in today’s post-boom era housing market. You’ll learn about each of the boxes:
- Acquisition – How to find and buy a profitable real estate deal.
- Rehabbing – How to systematically remodel a house and how not to under improve, or over improve, your property.
- Sales – How to sell your flip for the highest possible price in the shortest possible time.
- Raising Capital – How to get the capital you need to grow your business, including using other people’s money, for your real estate deals without getting sued or going to jail.
In the post-real estate boom era, fixing and flipping is again a solid business–especially in the markets that were hit hardest. This book shows real estate investors everything they need to know to get started fixing and reselling houses either as a substantial sideline or a full-on business.
What is House Flipping?
Flipping houses is the art and the science of taking an underperforming property and bringing it up to its highest and best use.
The Fundamental of House Flipping
There are several fundamentals that any good book should cover:
- Finding good deals
- Negotiating deals / creative finance
- Rehab budgets and scope of work
- Determining After Repair Value
Of course, it should also cover fundamental concepts and terms and give examples. But, in general, house flipping is just about finding deals, rehabbing, and selling.
Hot New Release for Real Estate Investing Books
Real estate changes all the time, and new books are constantly coming out. Stay on top of new trends by reading the newest real estate investing and house flipping books!